Re: Skipping unexec via a big .elc file

From: Philipp Stephani
Subject: Re: Skipping unexec via a big .elc file
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2016 16:51:20 +0000

Daniel Colascione <address@hidden> schrieb am Mo., 24. Okt. 2016 um 18:35 Uhr:
That is, we *could* get into a situation where "no people on board []
know enough about unexec to solve the next problem"

I'd argue that we are already in this situation.  For example, nobody knows how to make unexec work with ASLR or PIE; when I tried fuzzing Emacs with AFL, the dumped binary would simply crash; the dumped binary is not reproducible (i.e. bit-by-bit identical after every build); and I think dumping also doesn't work with ASan. The fraction of situation where unexec doesn't work any more gets larger and larger. If we had people who could solve these problems, it should get smaller instead.