Re: When should ralloc.c be used?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: When should ralloc.c be used?
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2016 14:50:01 -0400

>> AFAIK, gmalloc+mmap-ralloc is a perfectly acceptable solution for
>> Emacs-25.2 with the new glibc, with no known problem.
> So you consider this preferable to the 2 alternatives I mentioned in
>   http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2016-10/msg00740.html
> ?

Not sure.  AFAIU, gmalloc-mmap-ralloc suffers from fragmentation, which
was the reason why ralloc was written in the first place, so I would
tend to shy away from it, but I have not personally seen those problems,
so I don't have a strong opinion on this.

As for using HYBRID_MALLOC, that would be a better solution I think, but
I haven't looked at the corresponding patch, so I don't know how safe it is.

        Stefan