Re: Skipping unexec via a big .elc file

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Skipping unexec via a big .elc file
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2016 22:52:22 +0300

> From: Lars Brinkhoff <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2016 20:34:49 +0200
>
> I suppose it's obvious that this dumped.elc can't easily be converted to
> a c file which is compiled and linked into the final emacs.

It can.  More accurately, we could implement a back-end to the unexec
process that generates C source file.  That was Paul's suggestion.

I consider this option less desirable for several reasons:

  . writing and maintaining such a C back-end would be non-trivial,
    and would require good control of portable C programming,
    something that most of our contributors lack

  . it requires a C compiler, i.e. end-users cannot dump their own
    customized Emacs without having a compiler and linker installed