Re: Emphasizing the top of the frame

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Emphasizing the top of the frame
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2016 21:27:23 +0300

> From: John Yates <address@hidden>
> Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2016 13:53:32 -0400
>
> I really would like to be able to specify that
> * the mini-buffer should be positioned at the top of the inner-frame
> * the mode-line should be the very first line in a window, rather than the
> last
>
> Since this is a personal itch I am willing to starting poking at the code on
> my own. That said this will be my
> first foray into the emacs .c sources. Pointers and/or suggested lines of
> attack very welcome.

The relevant places to look are xdisp.c, dispnew.c, and dispextern.h.
IOW, the Emacs display engine.  It currently _knows_ that the
minibuffer is at bottom and that the mode line is the last screen line
of any window.  See, for example, the macro MATRIX_MODE_LINE_ROW in
dispextern.h.

Don't hesitate to ask more questions: this might sound like a simple
project, but it can be much harder if you don't know where to look.

Good luck, and thanks in advance for working on this.