Re: Skipping unexec via a big .elc file

From: Perry E. Metzger
Subject: Re: Skipping unexec via a big .elc file
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2016 18:53:13 -0400

On Tue, 25 Oct 2016 18:59:36 +0300 Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
> > Everyone who's seriously thought about the unexec problem
> > _understands_ the issue.
>
> The important point is that the number of people here who can claim
> such understanding, enough so to fix the issues, is diminishingly
> small, and gets smaller every year.

Just an aside: when you attract fewer and fewer users, you end up with
fewer and fewer contributors. Fewer and fewer contributors makes
maintenance harder and can create a death spiral for projects. If, in
an effort to make maintenance easier, you scare off a lot of users,
you could end up making the maintenance situation worse in the long
run. I'm not saying that longer start time would scare off users as
such, but in general, this balance has to be weighed in making
decisions about usability vs. maintenance costs.

Perry
--
Perry E. Metzger                address@hidden