Re: When should ralloc.c be used? (WAS: bug#24358)

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: When should ralloc.c be used? (WAS: bug#24358)
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2016 22:08:21 -0700

Richard Stallman wrote:
In general, I'm in favor of a more portable method.  But we don't have
one now.  Is it feasible to do?  Is anyone working on one?

Yes, it's feasible. It is on my list of things of do. Admittedly I'm stretched thin, and the approach I prefer (generating and then compiling C code) is not everybody's favorite.

If not, then I hope we can design, with the Glibc developers, a
different set of hooks to allow us to make unexec work.

That would be more work than fixing Emacs, I expect. Plus, malloc hooks are not the only reason unexec is dicey.

We should withdraw 25.1, I think.

I don't think that will help. Similar problems likely affect 24.5 and earlier versions, if they are built against bleeding-edge glibc and are configured in the default way.