Re: Segfault during fontification of rgrep buffers [HELP NEEDED]

From: Noam Postavsky
Subject: Re: Segfault during fontification of rgrep buffers [HELP NEEDED]
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2016 15:25:27 -0400

On Wed, Oct 26, 2016 at 2:44 PM, Herwig Hochleitner
<address@hidden> wrote:

>> On Wed, Oct 26, 2016 at 12:09 PM, Herwig Hochleitner
>> <address@hidden> wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I've been hunting a segfault during usage of rgrep for some time, now
>> > I've
>> > managed to catch it in gdb. From the looks of it, BEGV_ADDR is changed
>> > during a single run of search_buffer, which leaves a stale pointer in a
>> > local variable.
>>

>> This is almost certainly the same bug as #24358. You can try building
>> with REL_ALLOC=no, or applying
>>
>> https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?msg=225;att=2;bug=24358;filename=v4-0002-Inhibit-buffer-relocation-during-regex-searches.patch.
>

> That looks like the issue. I'll do a test build, and if successful, will add
> the patch to NixOS' emacs 25.1 build.
>
> Thanks!

Actually, there are a few other similar issues in other parts of the
code, so you should to apply all of

http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/patch/?id=71ca4f6a43bad06192cbc4bb8c7a2d69c179b7b0
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/patch/?id=1047496722a58ef5b736dae64d32adeb58c5055c
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/patch/?id=96ac0c3ebce825e60595794f99e703ec8302e240
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/patch/?id=43986d16fb6ad78a627250e14570ea70bdb1f23a

(that last one is the same as what I told you earlier). Certainly just
using REL_ALLOC=no is simpler, but getting confirmation that the
patches work would be useful also.