Re: Can we go GTK-only?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Can we go GTK-only?
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2016 09:22:04 +0300

> From: Daniel Colascione <address@hidden>
> Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2016 12:54:39 -0700
>
> As a stepping stone, we should at least remove support for the
> no-toolkit, Motif, and Athena configurations. (Lucid I can understand.)

I would object to removing the no-toolkit code, because it can be used
to quickly and simply adapt Emacs to any new toolkit.

I don't know how wide Motif and Athena are used; IMO we shouldn't
delete them if they are still in use.  E.g., are the major Linux
distros still offering such packages?

It's okay to make GTK a separate back-end, especially if that makes
maintenance easier (and I agree that it most probably will).  But I'd
like to warn people here to put too much trust into GTK as our only
terminal back-end, because, like any Free Software package, it can
easily stagnate and die at some point.  Having Emacs build-able with
alternative toolkits makes us more future-proof, and also prevents us
from the danger of writing low-level code that assumes only GTK is
used.