Re: RFC: flicker-free double-buffered Emacs under X11

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: RFC: flicker-free double-buffered Emacs under X11
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2016 10:19:37 +0300

> From: Paul Eggert <address@hidden>
> Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2016 19:07:09 -0700
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> Daniel Colascione wrote:
>
> > I've found the flickering while editing to be very machine-dependent....
> > I've found I can reliably reproduce the flickering by isearching for a
> > string that appears in a buffer only once, then leaning on C-s.
>
> Weird. I can't reproduce the flickering problem on either Fedora 24 GTK
> x86-64
> or Ubuntu 16.04.1 GTK x86-64, even though I tried your recipe. I wonder
> what's
> different about my platforms?

My guess is either your systems are too slow, or the keyboard
auto-repeat rate is too high.  This stuff is very timing-dependent,
and in this particular case it depends on the relative speed of
redisplay and keyboard auto-repeat.

> > if we're C99-only anyway now, we might as well allow
> > C99 comments.
>
> Maybe, but that would be a different topic, and should be addressed in a
> separate patch. For example, we might also need to change our C-reading
> programs.

Please note that we already have "//" comments in a few places, so if
we don't yet want to allow them, we should remove those.