Re: Can we go GTK-only?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Can we go GTK-only?
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2016 17:52:47 +0200

> From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
> Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2016 17:42:18 -0400
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> Ideally, yes, I definitely think we should split the Emacs process into
> various threads:
> - some threads for the GUI.
> - one thread for the Elisp engine (which receives events from the GUI
>   threads among others).

What do "the GUI threads" do?  "GUI" can mean many things, so the
above is too vague, IMO.

> So the GUI thread would handle the expose events, read-locking the
> matrices, while the redisplay would run in another thread, write-locking
> those same matrices.

Handling an expose event entails consulting buffer contents and
overlays, e.g. when the exposed region has mouse highlight, so doing
that asynchronously might show incorrect display, if the main thread
modifies the buffer.