Re: server-local variables

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: server-local variables
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2016 17:30:44 +0100

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>> I do not want to restrict server-local variables to Tramp, even if there
>> isn't such other use case yet.
>
> I have the suspicion that if another user than Tramp ever comes along,
> it could have a really hard time using your API, because your API is
> designed very clearly from Tramp's point of view.

It fits Tramp's need, yes. But the design is a simple clone of
`dir-locals-set-class-variables', `dir-locals-set-directory-class' and
`hack-dir-local-variables-non-file-buffer'.

> I can agree that it might be desirable that this feature should be able
> to set non-Tramp variables on a per-host basis (e.g. shell-file-name,
> null-device, ...), but other than that I think it makes sense to add it
> as a Tramp-only API at least at first.

It would be easier for me, because I would have more control over it :-)

But I still believe there will be non-Tramp use cases. As already said,
ange-ftp comes to mind.

>         Stefan

Best regards, Michael.