RE: server-local variables

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: server-local variables
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2016 14:03:59 -0700 (PDT)

> > * why not an obarray?
>
> FWIW, this question *very* rarely makes sense.  Usually the better
> question in this regard is: why an obarray?

You give no reasons...

> Other than trying to implement Emacs modules, I can't think of any
> situation where obarrays are a better option than, say, hash tables.

An obarray is a kind of hash table.  But it also provides a separate
namespace for symbols.  Using an obarray can make sense when you want
a separate symbol namespace.  Is that only "*very* rarely"?

I use an obarray in `synonyms.el', for example, for the names in a
dictionary (thesaurus).  (https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/Synonyms)

Why do you think it "*very* rarely makes sense" to use an obarray?

I don't disagree that "Why an obarray?" is a useful question.
I do think that giving advice/guidelines without reasons is not
so helpful.  Especially coming from someone who is (rightfully)
respected as an expert and authority, wouldn't it be more helpful
to explain your admonition a bit?