Re: tabulated-list: extend truncation into next align-right col

From: Tino Calancha
Subject: Re: tabulated-list: extend truncation into next align-right col
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2016 22:25:29 +0900 (JST)

On Tue, 1 Nov 2016, Stefan Monnier wrote:

;; Without computing maximum widths:
C1  C2                                       Numbers
abc **************************************... 123456
abc *******************************************... 1
abc ************************************         123

That's exactly what used to happen in *Buffer List* (and the source for
this TODO item).  It wasn't that bad (I can't remember any user
complaints about it).
For *Buffer List* maybe was OK that old way.  My concern is that
`tabulated-list' is still a young lib (2011) in an Emacs scale and
a general tool;  that funny truncations might look uglier in future
applications using this lib.

Admittedly, we could do better: compute the max
width not of the whole column but of the current line, and the two
surrounding ones.  This way we'd avoid

   abc **************************************... 123456
   abc *****************************************... 123

yet we'd allow

Thanks for this suggestion.
This might be good: we get generally longer truncations.  I am
not sure how it looks in big tables, but i can test it.

I will prepare a patch for this alternative truncation.

Tino