Re: emacs-25 f708cb2: Clarify doc string of 'transpose-sexps'

From: Stephen Berman
Subject: Re: emacs-25 f708cb2: Clarify doc string of 'transpose-sexps'
Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2016 18:08:37 +0100

On Fri, 4 Nov 2016 09:44:30 -0700 (PDT) Drew Adams <address@hidden> wrote:

>> > What does it mean to be in the middle of a list, for example?
>> > A case mentioned in the bug report is this:

>> > Point here is in the middle of the outer list, but it is between
>> > the two inner lists.  Any text description needs to be more careful
>> > and explicit, if it really wants to make the point clear.
>>
>> I think a reasonable interpretation of "in the middle of a sexp" is
>> that the relevant sexp
>
> What "relevant sexp"?  To say that point is in the middle of a
> sexp does not imply that it is in the middle of only one sexp.
> There might be any number of such in-the-middle-of, "relevant"
> sexps.

>> is the one whose start and end are closer to point (counting
>> leftwards and rightwards from point, respectively) than those
>> of any other sexp.
>
> If that's what is meant then that's what the doc should say:
> "the innermost sexp containing point".

I think that's unnecessary if this is a "reasonable interpretation",
i.e. it's common sense, so making it explicit tends to be pedantic.  Do
you really think this is not the common sense way of understanding it?
If so, I guess you have a function in mind that behaves differently;
which one?

Steve Berman