Re: On removing some obsolete code from subr and core

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: On removing some obsolete code from subr and core
Date: Sat, 05 Nov 2016 10:34:37 +0200

> From: Mark Oteiza <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2016 12:59:09 -0400
>
> I was eyeing some code in subr.el that deprecated in 22, and was
> wondering if there is any concern with ripping it out.  In particular,
> the bits included in the following patch.

Removing obsolete stuff is an ungrateful job, as we need to brace for
complaints and have a Plan B for if/when they need to be brought back.
For removed symbols, bringing back the ones that are still needed is
easy.  But what do we do with the default-FOO variables, once the
machinery for their generation is removed?

In any case, this needs a NEWS entry listing all the removed
variables.

> The parts for buffer_defaults is incomplete of course, there are many
> references to this structure.  Just searching through, uses of
> buffer_defaults look very easy to remove, but I may be missing something
> subtle.

Why do we need to remove buffer_defaults?  Once it is not exposed to
Lisp as variables, what's the harm?

Thanks.