Re: On removing some obsolete code from subr and core

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: On removing some obsolete code from subr and core
Date: Sat, 05 Nov 2016 13:50:48 -0400

> easy.  But what do we do with the default-FOO variables, once the
> machinery for their generation is removed?

BTW, the default-FOO vars were only deprecated in Emacs-23, not
Emacs-22, so maybe they can wait a little longer.  Actually I think most
of them can be safely dropped (e.g. because they've never been used),
but some have been used fairly commonly and should stick around a bit
longer.  Most obvious ones: default-major-mode and default-tab-width.

> Why do we need to remove buffer_defaults?  Once it is not exposed to
> Lisp as variables, what's the harm?

AFAIK buffer_defaults is indeed still very much needed for
(default-value major-mode), (setq-default major-mode ...) and same for
all other variables which have their own field in the struct buffer.

OTOH, once all the DEFVAR_BUFFER_DEFAULTS are removed, we can remove the
hack in store_symval_forwarding.

        Stefan