Re: Windows emacs-25.1 i686 vs x86_64?

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: Windows emacs-25.1 i686 vs x86_64?
Date: Sun, 06 Nov 2016 19:26:46 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> > Which has nothing to do with Emacs, even if it's true.
>>
>> As long as Emacs officially supports Windows 9x, it is implicitly
>> endorsing it. Because the basis of the GNU project is political and
>> moral, it is important that we send the correct messages to our users.
>
> I think you missed something I said here:
>
>   http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2016-11/msg00155.html

If the "something" is

 If it's okay on any other Windows system, it's okay on Windows 9X.

then that's precisely what I'm disagreeing with.

Having to figure out how to make Emacs work on Windows 9X (*) for
allowing some hypothetical users (**) to keep shooting themselves on the
foot seems like something we could stop doing at this moment.

* Accessing reliable information about which APIs work on Windows 9X is
  not easy at all.

** How many bug reports came from Windows 9X users on the last, say, 8
   years?