Re: Windows emacs-25.1 i686 vs x86_64?

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Windows emacs-25.1 i686 vs x86_64?
Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2016 13:54:24 -0800

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
Windows/ME was never popular, even when it was released

As I understand it, that "WinME" label is a catchall that includes the MS-Windows 9x line, and "0.01%" is so small that I doubt whether it is statistically significant. In practice then 9x line has transitioned from unsupported (ten years ago) to on-its-way-out (five years ago) to dead (now, almost everywhere), and any old decisions that assumed 9x's viability are now obsolete.

In GNU projects, we typically stop worrying about an underlying platform when its original supplier stops supporting it. For example, Emacs no longer worries about IRIX because SGI stopped supporting IRIX in 2013. Although MS-Windows 9x is special partly because it was so popular long ago, Emacs need not support 9x indefinitely, and Emacs's documentation should not give Emacs users the incorrect impression that 9x is still a live platform.