Re: global dired-hide-details-mode

From: Michael Heerdegen
Subject: Re: global dired-hide-details-mode
Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2016 16:22:16 +0100

Alexander Klimov <address@hidden> writes:

> Somehow I missed dired-mode-hook, probably I was under impression that
> using it instead of dired-before-readin-hook will force reading the
> directory twice.

AFAIR, `dired-hide-details-mode' is anchored deeper in dired than you
probably had expected: the invisible text property is applied already
after reading in the contents, unconditionally and independently from
the value of `dired-hide-details-mode'.  `dired-hide-details-mode' only
toggles the according invisibility spec.  That's why `dired-mode-hook'
is the right place to enable that mode.

Enabling `dired-hide-details-mode' directly after filling the buffer
might work too because it sets the invisibility spec, but I think when
entering `dired-mode', the details mode gets effectively turned off (via
unsetting buffer local variables when changing the major mode).

Michael.