Re: Windows emacs-25.1 i686 vs x86_64?

From: Perry E. Metzger
Subject: Re: Windows emacs-25.1 i686 vs x86_64?
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2016 14:02:28 -0500

On Mon, 07 Nov 2016 20:07:13 +0200 Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
> > covering Windows 9x prominently in Emacs documentation wastes
> > users' time and makes us look technically dated.
>
> A short paragraph in a README is not "prominent documentation".
> Let's not lose the perspective when trying to make a point, okay?

I'm somewhat surprised that we're discussing support for a proprietary
OS that has been off vendor extended support for over a decade and
which no one uses any more.

I have to assume the main reason for that is that some people
(including RMS) were under the mistaken impression that it is still
widely used, which it is not. Data has already been provided to back
that up.

(If you buy a new computer in China it comes with Windows 10, though
of course not necessarily a legal copy. No one would willingly buy a
machine with Windows 98 installed. It doesn't even support modern
hardware.)

Perry
--
Perry E. Metzger                address@hidden