Re: Windows emacs-25.1 i686 vs x86_64?

From: Perry E. Metzger
Subject: Re: Windows emacs-25.1 i686 vs x86_64?
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2016 09:34:19 -0500

On Tue, 08 Nov 2016 08:55:23 -0500 Richard Stallman <address@hidden>
wrote:
>   > It is not likely. There is statistical information that was
>   > cited earlier in this thread. Windows 9x and ME are now below
>   > 0.01% usage. How much below is hard to measure.
>
> It seems I was mistaken in what I remembered.  Maybe it was Windows
> XP that was still being installed a few years ago.

Windows XP is, sadly, still used by some people, though a large
fraction of that use is in embedded systems (like older medical
equipment and old ATMs) rather than on desktops. I don't think anyone
is installing it into new things terribly much if at all, but yes,
there's a certain amount of it out there.

Official end of support from Microsoft happened on April 8, 2014. I
would say that in a few years it will not be of much importance, but
for now there's still a *bit*.

Perry
--
Perry E. Metzger                address@hidden