Re: Windows emacs-25.1 i686 vs x86_64?

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: Windows emacs-25.1 i686 vs x86_64?
Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2016 14:52:44 +0000

>   > What we do know is that we get very few bug reports for Windows 98/95.
>
> That suggests we don't have many users on those systems.
>
> We could put in code in the next release to display a message,
> "If you use GNU Emacs on Windows 95 or Windows 98,
> please send email to <some email address>.  We are thinking
> of deleting the support for those systems in a future Emacs version."

We don't need "If you use..." -- Emacs should know OS it is using.
I am happy to add this to Emacs-26 (perhaps as an addition to the splash
screen). For "<some email address>" we could use a debbugs email. This
would then provide us a generalized mechanism for deprecation of OS
support. The only difficulty I can see is finding a copy of Win 98 on
which to test this.

Can I suggest we add 9x, and Windows XP into the list for Emacs-26?

>   > The only thing that I could think of further to get more information
>   > would be to check the download logs; does ftp.gnu.org store user agent
>   > strings or equivalent. This would at least give us some evidence about
>   > Windows 9x -- also Windows XP.
>
> That is a good idea.

I will investigate and see if this data is available.

Phil