Regarding performance issues with the Emacs 25.1 Windows-build

From: Jostein Kjønigsen
Subject: Regarding performance issues with the Emacs 25.1 Windows-build
Date: Wed, 09 Nov 2016 09:34:05 +0100

Hey everyone.

I'm a platform-hopping Emacs-user using Linux at home and Windows at
work.

At home I run Emacs built from source, but getting a Windows-build of
Emacs going seems a bit more involved than "apt source emacs", so I run
the pre-compiled binaries provided by GNU.

Thus I was very excited the final release of Emacs 25.1. Finally I could
use these new features on my WIndows-workstation at work as well!

But now I'm going back to 24.5. Why? It seems Emacs 25.1 for Windows has
major performance issues. Compared to Emacs 24.5 it's just on overall
slower for just about anything.

At first I thought it was just the 64-bit build which was affected
(thanks for 64-bit btw!). But after using the 32-bit build for a while,
I can just *tell* that everything is moving slower than it used to.

Now to be truthful, I haven't been fully methodical and scientific about
this. I've noticed, but I haven't systematically measured anything.

The good news is that someone else has done just this:
https://www.reddit.com/r/emacs/comments/598iot/on_windows_emacs_251_is_noticeably_slower_than/

The numbers here show Emacs 25.1 on Windows to be almost twice as slow
as 24.5!

Now on Linux I'm having none of these issues, so my suspicion is
targeted towards the build itself, more than the code-base.

How was the Windows-version built? Was it built by the same people,
using the same setup and the same toolchain? Or was something done
differently this time?

Windows still has significant marketshare so I don't think we're doing
Emacs or GNU any good by having it's first-class editor appear sluggish.

Anyone have idea how we can go about this fixing this?

--
Jostein Kjønigsen
🥓