Re: lldb support

From: Perry E. Metzger
Subject: Re: lldb support
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2016 20:51:34 -0500

On Wed, 09 Nov 2016 19:24:11 -0500 Richard Stallman <address@hidden>
wrote:
>   > It's a debugger that does the same job as GDB, but it's based
>   > on the Clang and LLVM toolkit for looking at the world, not
>   > binutils, GCC, etc. Compared to GDB, LLDB has a different and
>   > (IMHO) uglier command syntax, but both LLDB and GDB support the
>   > MI protocol.
>
> Why would we want to support it
> rather than saying, "We support GDB -- use that."?

Because there are platforms that do not ship with gdb.
macOS for example ships with lldb these days. lldb is also the
debugger of choice for a bunch of languages like Swift that have no
gdb support. (The reference Swift implementation is free
software.) I'm not sure if Rust only is supported by lldb but I think
that may be the case, I would have to check.

Perry
--
Perry E. Metzger                address@hidden