Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 36b9955: Add --new-daemon, which runs in the fo

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 36b9955: Add --new-daemon, which runs in the foreground and does not fork
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2016 19:34:42 +0100

Evgeny Roubinchtein <address@hidden> writes:

> Alternatively alternatively an optional argument to the "--daemon" option
> so that, for example "--daemon=foreground" is the no-forking behavior,
> whereas plain "--daemon" (for backward compatibility) and
> "--daemon=background" (for completeness) are both the forking behavior.

From

*info* (emacs) Initial Options

‘-daemon=SERVER-NAME’
     Start emacs in background as a daemon, and use SERVER-NAME as the
     server name.

Curiously that syntax is not mentioned on the output of `emacs --help',
nor it is clear if --daemon=SERVER-NAME is accepted (note the two
hyphens).

IMHO, --fg-daemon or --daemon-fg makes more sense, but then we need
--fg-daemon=SERVER-NAME and -fg-daemon=SERVER-NAME; same for the --bg*
alternative.

> Bikeshedding can be fun. ;-)

Then you are on the right place.

An we are entering in a combinatorial explosion. We have bikeshedding
material until New Year's Eve and beyond!