Re: Are there non-mingw32 binaries for Windows?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Are there non-mingw32 binaries for Windows?
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2016 22:41:31 +0200

> From: Kevin Layer <address@hidden>
> Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2016 09:54:55 -0800
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> I've just never used the mingw32 binaries and the installation is more
> complex.  I have been repackaging the older, single-zip binaries with
> an NSIS installer, since it's just easier for Windows people to run an
> exe to install.

The current binaries are also provided as a single zip file.  The
other zip file is for optional libraries that were not available with
previous versions (you needed to install them separately by
yourself).  If you don't want the optional libraries, you don't have
to install them.

> I'm just embarking on the task of updating it for 25.1, and wanted to
> know if the old style binaries were just temporarily missing or gone
> forever.

What are "the old style binaries"?

> One question about the mingw32 emacs binary: is it like the Cygwin
> emacs binary where it uses Cygwin mounts?  What I liked about the
> native (MSVC) compiled emacs was that it used C:\... instead of /c/...

No, MinGW produces native Windows executables.