Re: Rant on ...

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Rant on ...
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2016 21:54:08 +0100

Alan Mackenzie <address@hidden> writes:

> Are there really hackers who prefer to see only some of the relevant
> debugging information?

I prefer the truncated lines in the debugging buffer.  It allows me to
scan the stack trace faster.  I can expand the lines I'm interested in
after finding them.

> If anybody knows offhand what settings I need to make, please tell me.

I think there's something binding print-length somewhere annoying, but I
forget the details.  Or was it eval-expression-print-length?

> Would anybody object to my getting rid of this obfuscation in Emacs, and
> setting the appropriate defaults (whatever they are) not arbitrarily to
> truncate backtraces and other info users have requested?

Data forms can be arbitrarily long.  Not truncating them when printing
them can result in printing an expression taking a long time.  (I've
experience something like half-minute pauses when dealing with extreme
data structures.)