Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 36b9955: Add --new-daemon, which runs in the fo

From: Glenn Morris
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 36b9955: Add --new-daemon, which runs in the foreground and does not fork
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2016 01:56:47 -0500

I'm not attached to the old- and new- names. Anyone should feel free
to change them. I used "new" because
https://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/daemon.html
distinguishes between "sysV" and " new-style" daemons.

I actually started with "--daemon-fg" and "--daemon-bg", but the Emacs
argument parsing code can't handle one argument (ie "--daemon") being a
prefix of another. If someone fixes argmatch to prefer an exact match to
a prefix match, those would work.

"--fg-daemon" and "--bg-daemon" sound fine to me.

Switches --foreground (I don't think it's worth a short option like -F)
and --background sound fine too.

PS: emacs_devel.txt: seven years for a feature to get implemented,
then overnight 4 people suggest different names for the option. ;)