Re: hybrid_malloc on CANNOT_DUMP?

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: hybrid_malloc on CANNOT_DUMP?
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2016 17:03:30 -0800

Daniel Colascione wrote:
Emacs on GNU/Linux and X11 crashes on startup in a CANNOT_DUMP configuration due
to some nonsense inside gmalloc. Why wouldn't we want to force hybrid_malloc=off
in a CANNOT_DUMP configuration?

Yes, that makes sense. More generally, the CANNOT_DUMP code has been suffering from bitrot for some time. I just now made a pass through it to fix some gotchas and installed the attached into Emacs master. It's still a mess, but at least I can now do 'configure CANNOT_DUMP=yes emacs_cv_var_doug_lea_malloc=no' and run 'make check', and most tests pass. Hope this helps.

Can we hope that you're working on supporting a fast CANNOT_DUMP implementation? That'd be nice....