Re: [Emacs-diffs] emacs-25 d4e1549: Guard terminal parameter in XTerm mo

From: Philipp Stephani
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] emacs-25 d4e1549: Guard terminal parameter in XTerm mouse mode
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2016 12:20:16 +0000

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> schrieb am Mi., 23. Nov. 2016 um 02:08 Uhr:
> +     (setf (terminal-parameter nil 'xterm-mouse-last-down)
> +              ;; EVENT might be handed back to the input queue, which
> +              ;; might modify it.  Copy it into the terminal parameter
> +              ;; to guard against that.
> +              (copy-sequence event))

Do you have further information about when/where events might be
modified in place?  It sounds like a risky operation.

I assume it's in the code that translates consecutive mouse-down events to mouse-movement events. It's easy to reproduce in HTerm: without the patch, dragging the mouse while holding a button causes "drag-mouse-0" events to be generated. These come from spurious mouse-movement events in  xterm-mouse-last-down. Since nothing places these events explicitly there, the root cause must be that the event list is overwritten.
Agreed that the input loop probably shouldn't modify event objects. But it might be a necessary optimization somewhere. Unfortunately I wasn't able to find the specific piece of code responsible for this modification.
--

Google Germany GmbH
Erika-Mann-Straße 33

Sitz der Gesellschaft: Hamburg
Geschäftsführer: Matthew Scott Sucherman, Paul Terence Manicle

Diese E-Mail ist vertraulich. Wenn Sie nicht der richtige Adressat sind, leiten Sie diese bitte nicht weiter, informieren Sie den Absender und löschen Sie die E-Mail und alle Anhänge. Vielen Dank.

This e-mail is confidential. If you are not the right addressee please do not forward it, please inform the sender, and please erase this e-mail including any attachments. Thanks.