Re: [Emacs-diffs] emacs-25 d4e1549: Guard terminal parameter in XTerm mo

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] emacs-25 d4e1549: Guard terminal parameter in XTerm mouse mode
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2016 18:23:57 +0200

> From: Philipp Stephani <address@hidden>
> Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2016 08:58:28 +0000
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden
>
>  > It's a very annoying and highly visible bug, and the fix is trivial and
> cannot possibly break anything.
>
>  It wasn't reported until now, was it? So I guess it's only visible
>  under some conditions that don't happen very often.
>
> It happens always when selecting text with the mouse in HTerm, I think that
> happens very often. Perhaps
> people just ignore the error message most of the time.

Perhaps.  But that probably means it isn't urgent to fix, especially
if we had this with us for quite some time.

>  Can you tell since when do we have this bug? If it exists long
>  enough, I don't think we should do this on the release branch, it goes
>  against the criteria for bug fixes there.
>
> What are the criteria?

As described here:

  http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2016-10/msg00007.html
  http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2016-10/msg00460.html
  http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-gnu-emacs/2016-10/msg00787.html

> CONTRIBUTE states
> "Release branches […] are mainly
> intended for more-conservative changes such as bug fixes. […]
> If you are fixing a bug that exists in the current release, be sure to
> commit it to the release branch; […]"

That's a general policy, but Emacs 25.2 has special rules because we
want to put it out the door very soon.

> If the actual policy is different, please document it in CONTRIBUTE.

I don't think it's right to publish ad-hoc criteria in CONTRIBUTE,
that would be confusing to new contributors.

> I've seen some talk about bugfix-only releases, but I think the policy should
> be clearer and better documented
> to avoid such discussions.

I don't see any good alternative to reading the mailing lists, sorry.