Re: replacing ldefs-boot.el

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: replacing ldefs-boot.el
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2016 20:59:54 +0000

Óscar Fuentes <address@hidden> writes:

> address@hidden (Phillip Lord) writes:
>
>> My strong suspicion is that, while ldefs-boot-auto.el is generated, it
>> will need to be regenerated very rarely. Of course, I have little basis
>> for this suspicion and it's pretty hard to test.
>
> You can go backwards in time: checkout some past revision, apply your
> patch, run the build and see if the file changes. Repeat.

Yes, it is possible, but it requires a full, single threaded bootstrap
build, which takes about an hour for me.

The same ldefs-boot (generated from master) works on emacs-25 head, and
master. It fails on emacs24 head because of inline.el and emacs-24.3
because of nadvice.

Of course this is going backward in time, not forward, so the number of
required autoloads could just be getting bigger. But given that the
number of quite small, that seems unlikely.

Phil