Re: Preview: portable dumper

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Preview: portable dumper
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2016 22:12:40 +0200

> From: Daniel Colascione <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2016 11:50:31 -0800
>
> I've been working on a portable dumper for GNU Emacs. The attached patch
> is an early version of this work. I'll write up all the usual NEWS
> entries, changelogs, and (in this case necessary) dedicated
> documentation before I land it. I want to start getting review comments
> now that the code has roughly its final shape.

Thanks for your efforts, but I think this is a wrong direction, that
will eventually get us into the same problem we have with unexec: the
need to know and depend on intimate details of relocations, memory
allocation, etc.  On top of that, adding Lisp objects will now require
writing its dumper back-end, so this will be a constant maintenance
burden of the kind that only a few of us can bear.

Making the initial load of preloaded Lisp files (most probably, a
single large file) fast enough to allow us to dump the dumping phase
altogether is a much more perspective direction.