Re: Preview: portable dumper

From: Burton Samograd
Subject: Re: Preview: portable dumper
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2016 20:34:20 +0000

> I'm just wondering: if it's strictly a speed gain, then is there any other way
> to achieve it; if it's a functionality gain, what are the advantages over just
> speeding up .elc loading.

It sounds like it disconnects the internal unexec format from the underlying
system, which could be a good portability gain.  It also allows the emacs
executable to load different core runtimes and would make the initial binary
quite a bit smaller, if I understand correctly.

This type of patch seems like a good move to me and pulls it closer to almost
every CL implementation out there.

—
Burton Samograd