Re: Regarding performance issues with the Emacs 25.1 Windows-build

From: Jostein Kjønigsen
Subject: Re: Regarding performance issues with the Emacs 25.1 Windows-build
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2016 09:36:28 +0100

While I think comparing performance between Linux to Windows is a reasonable to a certain extent, I don't think it should be done blindly.

What I think is more interesting is the platform-specific performance with regard to prior versions.

That was my frame of reference when initially starting this thread. Due to Emacs (or at least certain Emacs-packages) being heavily reliant on sub-processes to do the heavy lifting, and the platforms' very different performance-characteristics w.r.t. threads vs processes, I wouldn't expect Emacs on Windows to perform exactly the same as on Linux.

I just don't think directly comparing performance between two platforms as such is realistic, or that immediately useful.

Just look at Git for Windows. It's much slower than on Linux, due to heavy sub-process use. But the performance in between versions stays pretty much the same. As a user, as long as Emacs for Windows does the same, I don't see a problem.

If however the Emacs-developers considers this a problem, feel free to investigate it further at your own discretion :)

--
Jostein Kjønigsen
🥓