Re: bug#23750: 25.0.95; bug in url-retrieve or json.el

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: bug#23750: 25.0.95; bug in url-retrieve or json.el
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2016 17:11:47 +0200

> From: Philipp Stephani <address@hidden>
> Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2016 23:18:21 +0000
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden
>
> Ah, I guess the URL functions could simply call string-to-unibyte, that
> should do the right thing in all cases.

That would bring back the problem which caused us to introduce the
test which triggered this bug report.  string-to-unibyte can produce
results that might surprise naïve users, and it also can signal an
error whose text is not fit for showing it to users.

We are trying to avoid using that function, for these very reasons.