Re: Preview: portable dumper

From: Philippe Vaucher
Subject: Re: Preview: portable dumper
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2016 20:29:40 +0100

EZ> Maybe, maybe not. I don't understand why we need to grasp the first straw
EZ> we see around to get rid of unexec. What's the rush?

Eli has a good point here, there really is no rush. Daniel, would you be
willing to continue to incubate these changes in a branch, while we also
consider and explore alternatives?

Isn't unexec what prevents emacs from building inside docker containers (because of the personality syscall)?

As far as I'm concerned, that's a quite annoying emacs limitation. See bug https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=23529.

That said, I understand I'm probably a minory opinion, and that because this is a sensitive topic we should not rush it... but it's not something that should be put in a wish list (e.g some untested branch), because it's something that needs to be fixed sooner or later.

Philippe