Re: Preview: portable dumper

From: John Wiegley
Subject: Re: Preview: portable dumper
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2016 20:10:21 -0800

EZ> Having new features on a branch is our standard development practice. It
EZ> allows the interested people to try the feature in situations no single
EZ> person can possibly create, even if that person has access to several
EZ> platforms, because usage patterns differ a lot.

EZ> We can establish pass criteria, if you like, but the only criteria until
EZ> now were "if enough time passed and no one complained, it's ready".

EZ> In this case, we will probably also consider alternative approaches if
EZ> they become mature.

I agree with Eli here, this is what branches are for. Daniel, if you think
they have cultural baggage that makes them distasteful, that's a different
problem. Branches are a perfectly acceptable tool, and they give us an easy
way to assess progress as the work develops.

Please submit your code to a branch, and we'll ask everyone who's capable to
begin testing on as many platforms as we can find. Once enough time has passed
and no one has complained, it can move to master.