Re: Preview: portable dumper

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Preview: portable dumper
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2016 01:16:17 -0800

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

Emacs never worked on that platform

Sure it did. Emacs worked until FreeBSD 11, when the arm64 port modernized its memory-management implementation. If Glibc does something similar, it would be a mistake to say "that's OK, Emacs never worked on that platform", as this might give non-experts the misimpression that Emacs never worked on GNU/Linux.

they removed a certain library function, which happens to be called by unexec.

This was no accident. They removed it because it was producing bogus values, and it didn't reflect how FreeBSD actually allocates memory. Whether the function worked for Emacs at all was apparently a matter of luck.

I would rather not tell FreeBSD/arm64 users that they can't run Emacs any more because we can't be bothered to install a patch that's been contributed, not even a patch that's compiled by default only on FreeBSD/arm64.

I sympathize with Daniel about the politics of this. This is not the sort of change that we'd ordinarily create a new branch for, and the way this is being handled will likely discourage further contributions.