Re: bug#23750: 25.0.95; bug in url-retrieve or json.el

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: bug#23750: 25.0.95; bug in url-retrieve or json.el
Date: Thu, 01 Dec 2016 19:17:27 +0200

> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden,
>  address@hidden
> From: Dmitry Gutov <address@hidden>
> Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2016 02:30:15 +0200
>
> On 30.11.2016 18:23, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>
> > Since both the original issue and this one are at least indirectly
> > caused by jason.el, it might make sense.
>
> Triggered, more like.

Nothing wrong with that.  If some issue isn't a bug, but gets in the
way of a broad class of applications, it is okay to silently DTRT for
that class only, in some central place that serves the class.

> Either way, I don't think it's a great idea. Quite the opposite: by
> allowing the programmer to avoid calling `encode-coding-string' in more
> cases, we'll just make the problem in their code harder to find, until
> some user of that code really does need to transfer multibyte content.

I don't think we will win any hearts by nagging application
programmers when we could silently DTRT ourselves.

> Further, now that Emacs 25 is out, and we are allowed to have more
> breaking changes in Emacs 26, I think we should change the check at the
> end of url-http-create-request to just use multibyte-string-p.
>
> Barring some unforeseen consequences, this will solidify the requirement
> that the caller need to deal with encoding explicitly in all cases,
> before passing the request body to the transport level.

Can you show me a patch to that effect, or point me to where it was
posted in the past?  I'm afraid I no longer remember those details.

Thanks.