Re: Preview: portable dumper

From: David Requena Zabala
Subject: Re: Preview: portable dumper
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2016 23:13:27 +0100

>In that discussion, you asked technical questions about the implementation of
>scroll-bar support in Emacs, on X and on MS-Windows,
and I answered your questions by pointing to the relevant functions which
implement that support.

Thanks for that.‎ I also seem to remember you bluntly denied a related issue
with the configure script which you latter corrected :-)

> At no time in that discussion you proposed something, let alone some code,
> that was rejected.

This! no code, good or bad, came ever out of this to be proposed for inclusion
into emacs.
And that's for a very definite reason: the novice who wrote it wasn't willing
to put up a fight just because no new C code is welcomed any longer into emacs.

As a consequence I pretty much doubt I'll ever become seasoned enough as to be
of any help in proper emacs maintenance. IOW, I won't become one of those much
needed C coneisseur maintainers.

> What am I missing?

If I weren't any wiser I'd say you missed the hole point of my message ;-)

Look, this was intended as an outsider take on the broader issue of avoiding C
code at all costs. At some point decisions have to be made and the more points
of view considered, the better those will be.

At the moment we have:  x >= 1. Where x is the number of once would be C
maintainers put aback by the issue at hand.

I don't know the actual magnitude of x; you don't know either. But it's you who
seems most worried about the alleged C programmers drought.