Re: Preview: portable dumper

From: John Wiegley
Subject: Re: Preview: portable dumper
Date: Thu, 01 Dec 2016 23:57:07 -0800

FS> I agree with Daniel here (both Daniels). There is no shortage of linux
FS> kernel hackers and​ it is written in C. Plus I think that is a consensus
FS> that C is not dying anytime soon.

I'd like to see less C, if only because I've never hacked on the C part of
Emacs, and find almost anything Emacs Lisp to be much simpler and more fun to
work on.

However, C is far from being the most difficult language out there. People are
quite excited about Rust these days, and it appears much harder to fully grok
than C.

If smart people want Emacs to do something, they'll code a machine emulator in
Minecraft to output the correct code using musical frequencies and LED lights.
You'd be shocked at what 15 year olds can do these days when they're bored.
I'm not worried about the intelligence or future willingness. What WE can do,
as Emacs developers, is to be as welcoming and supportive as possible, while
helping those upcoming geniuses to understand that unless they're willing to
stick around and help maintain their new additions, we might be inclined to
say "better in Emacs Lisp, please".