Re: Preview: portable dumper

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Preview: portable dumper
Date: Fri, 02 Dec 2016 17:24:55 -0500

  > No.  I mean that bytecomp.el would generate a file in a format which
  > pdumper can use (which has various consequences, such as the fact that
  > .elc files aren't portable any more).

That seems like a big disadvantage to me.  This could be sufficient
reason just by itself to stick with the current format for elc files.
People expect to install one elc file and have it work in multple
Emacs versions.  Only rarely have we made changes that would prevent
this.

--
Dr Richard Stallman