Re: Preview: portable dumper

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Preview: portable dumper
Date: Sat, 03 Dec 2016 10:56:01 -0500

> We already have such "fiddly maintenance" situation in several areas.
> Font selection, font back-ends, character composition, complex script
> shaping, and (to some extent) the interaction with X and its window
> managers -- all of these are areas where bugs are left for months and
> years without being fixed, and no progress is made to adapt Emacs to
> the new technologies out there.

>From where I stand I have the impression that we have a respectable
"marketshare" among those programmers interested in programming
languages (for example, in my research area (functional programming and
type systems), most new experimental languages come with support for
Emacs first and support for other editors only show up later).
On the contrary I get the impression that our "markethare" among
programmers interested in "GUI stuff" is very much smaller.

So I don't think the lack of people willing to help us with X and font
stuff implies that there's a lack of people able to hack on things like
the GC (and if you're able to hack on the GC, then that probably carries
over to the pdumper since it's closely related).

        Stefan