Re: Preview: portable dumper

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: Preview: portable dumper
Date: Sun, 4 Dec 2016 12:34:34 +0000

On Sat, Dec 03, 2016 at 04:09:24PM -0500, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> >> I'd forgotten about that patch. It's further evidence of the trouble
> >> lurking here. How about landing that code now?
> > How about not being rash and reading up on the conversations that ended in
> > that patch not being applied?

> Or applying the patch I suggested instead (much simpler and leverages
> the syntax-ppss cache)...

Your patch was indeed simpler.  Indeed, it was so simple as actually not
to work in general, as well as being ~2 orders of magnitude slower than
the current (forward-comment -1).  syntax-ppss is broken (bug #22983)
and has been for many years, so to base a critical primitive on it seems
unwise.  And one or two other things, too.

Other than that, yes we could apply that patch.

BTW, I've been looking at bug #22983 the last few days, since it seems
nobody else is going to bother fixing it.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).