Re: Preview: portable dumper

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Preview: portable dumper
Date: Sun, 04 Dec 2016 18:05:34 -0500

  > GC is stable for many years, and "just works".  Bugs only happen there
  > when people make changes in GC code, for benefits that are not
  > essential.  If there's no one on board who understands GC, we can
  > simply disallow any changes in that area.

The issue you raised -- and it is a real consideration -- is that
future changes in Lisp object formats would likely require changes in
the portable dumper (if we use that), just as they would likely
require changes in GC.

If someday nobody can change GC, that would mean nobody can change
Lisp object formats any more.

It won't take very long before the portable dumper becomes as stable
as GC.  Then it would be the same issue for both.  I don't think that
having Lisp object format changes blocked by GC and the portable
dumper is much worse than having them blocked by GC alone.

--
Dr Richard Stallman