Re: Preview: portable dumper

From: Philippe Vaucher
Subject: Re: Preview: portable dumper
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2016 11:38:32 +0100

On Sun, Dec 4, 2016 at 6:12 PM, Daniel Colascione <address@hidden> wrote:

We're talking about software. Anything we do, we can undo.  (And please,
stop suggesting that we have some kind of duty to keep master absolutely
stable because someone, somewhere might make a master snapshot tarball
available for something.  Why do we even have releases?)

Keeping master stable depends on the workflow wanted for Emacs... but in general, having a stable "master" is an accepted practice for any project of a reasonable size.

The unstability can go in branches, that's what they are for. A stable master avoids all the unecesserary noise when "master breaks" because that affects everyone, and it allows for continuous integration as a bonus.

There is a lot of different worflows available and I think it is our job to adapt to the project's workflow, or maybe propose a different workflow.

Here are different typical used workflows:
  • only one master branch (small projects)
  • the git-flow workflow: one long-lived develop branch meant for development (unstable) from which features/releases branches might get branched from. The branch master is on the receiving end on the merges and anything merged to it should be stable (http://nvie.com/posts/a-successful-git-branching-model). Somewhat "long" release cycles.
  • the github workflow: master always "production ready", every features/bugfixes gets in a branch, and is merged when ready. Emphasis on short release cycles.
  • the git/kernel release model: many topical branches like "next", "pu" (proposed updates), "maint" (maintenance), etc.
I think in general having a stable master is desired, now I agree it's not the end of the world if it gets unstable from time to time as long as it's fixed quickly.

Philippe