Re: ChangeLog.3 in master

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: ChangeLog.3 in master
Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2016 17:58:02 +0200

> From: Paul Eggert <address@hidden>
> Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2016 13:01:51 -0800
>
> I merged emacs-25 into master again today. This time, I attempted to
> cleanup the ChangeLog.2 mess in master, by creating a file ChangeLog.3
> (only in master) which attempts to keep log entries for the master
> branch. The emacs-25 branch does not have a ChangeLog.3 file. The master
> and emacs-25 branches should have identical ChangeLog.2 files
> immediately after merging emacs-25 into master, because there should be
> no reason to change ChangeLog.2 in master. (I hope this is all clear. :-)

It is, and thanks for doing this.

> Undoubtedly there will be further problems in this area, as the
> ChangeLog stuff is still way too awkward. I'm mildly inclined to stop
> updating ChangeLog files in the repository, and ask developers to use
> something like 'make ChangeLog' if they want more-recent entries. I
> realize not everyone agrees; on the other hand, ChangeLog.2 was becoming
> fairly confusing in the master branch and ChangeLog.3 is not that much
> better.

I took a look at ChangeLog.3, and I don't see anything terribly wrong
with it.  As time goes by, these generated ChangeLog files acquire
some duplications due to merges, but that's not a catastrophe, IMO.

As for updating the file in the repository, it really is necessary
when a release is tarred.  So perhaps we don't need to do this on
master, only on the release branch?