Re: [announce] The new website for GNU ELPA is online

From: Yuri Khan
Subject: Re: [announce] The new website for GNU ELPA is online
Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2016 20:06:11 +0700

On Fri, Dec 9, 2016 at 5:06 PM, Nicolas Petton <address@hidden> wrote:

>> - The logo (both versions) looks a little blurry to me, like the text's
>> edges in "ξlpa" are less definite than in "GNU Emacs Lisp Package
>> Archive" below it. Although that might have everything to do with me
>> using a 4K monitor.
>
> Oh, yes, most probably.  I don't have such a monitor, but I'll ask a
> colleague to see by myself.

Indeed, normal pixel density images will look blurry on a high-density
monitor. (“4K” does not directly mean “HiDPI”; depends on the monitor
diagonal. Also, DPI alone is not a meaningful metric; “DPI at normal
viewing distance” or “device pixels per degree” are better.)

To see the image as your HiDPI(-at-normal-distance) users will, zoom
to 200% in your browser and optionally double the viewing distance.

To counter this problem, you have three options, in decreasing order
of preference:

* Use vector graphics (SVG) where possible. Good for text and line art
if you don’t have to support Internet Explorer 8. Additional advantage
is that file size decreases.

* Provide the image at twice the width and twice the height and scale
to normal pixel width using CSS. Good for photos because the above
solution is not possible; somewhat wasteful for text and line art.

* Add a CSS rule that switches to nearest-neighbor scaling:
image-rendering: -moz-crisp-edges for Firefox or image-rendering:
pixelated for Webkit-based browsers. Good for pixel art and
screenshots, but browser support is non-uniform.