Re: Regarding performance issues with the Emacs 25.1 Windows-build

From: Fabrice Popineau
Subject: Re: Regarding performance issues with the Emacs 25.1 Windows-build
Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2016 22:09:05 +0100

Probably not very important, but since I had a look at it, I post it.

The original poster recipe was about running Emacs with helm and its default configuration, nothing else.
Here are some figures using emacs 25.1 :

emacs/w64, Windows 10, running from msys2 bash:
$ time emacs -Q -l /tmp/helm-cfg.el -f kill-emacs

real    0m1.258s
user    0m0.000s
sys     0m0.000s

emacs/ubuntu, running from WSL:

$time ../../build-emacs-ubuntu/src/emacs -display :0 -Q -l /mnt/c/MSys64/tmp/helm-cfg.el -f kill-emacs

real    0m1.441s
user    0m0.625s
sys     0m0.734s

One can object that the Ubuntu provided by WSL is not the Real Thing (TM), but that should be close enough.
So I don't see a real difference here.

Regards,

Fabrice

> From: Fabrice Popineau <fabrice.popineau@centralesupelec.fr>
> Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2016 08:56:09 +0100
> Cc: address@hidden, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>,
>       Noam Postavsky <address@hiddennet>,
>       Jostein Kjønigsen <address@hidden>,
>       Emacs developers <address@hidden>
>
> There is a user on Reddit who pretends that theses latest binaries of Emacs run slower on Windows than on
> Linux.
> I didn't get a chance yet to give it a try.
> The test is as follows :
>
> - Install Helm from MELPA.
> - Add this config to the init file, as suggested by Helm page
>
> https://www.reddit.com/r/emacs/comments/5e3xpu/emojis_in_emacs_intentionally_disabled_for_osx/dabya5i/
>

> If anybody has a chance to do the testing. I'm not sure about what helm config he is
> talking about (the full one or the default one).

Helm fires up a lot of subprocesses, and subprocess handling in Emacs
on MS-Windows is complicated and involves synchronization between
threads.  Maybe that is at least one reason for slower startup.

Another reason could be intensive file I/O, which is more efficient on
GNU/Linux (not related to Emacs).

> My guess is that something else than emacs is disturbing his load time (antivirus ?).

Yes, antivirus could be yet another reason.

But I agree that without a reproducible recipe, this discussion is a
bit academic.